4 First aid and easy tips to deal with the factors causing heart attack
- Foremost, try to call a doctor or an ambulance.
- If there is no history of aspirin allergy, advise the patient to chew aspirin tablet slowly.
- If the patient is unconscious and not breathing, try giving artificial respiration and CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).
Directions in giving artificial respiration:
- Tilt the head back lifting the chin up.
- Pinch nostrils to prevent air leakage.
- Take a deep breath and hold it in; seal your mouth over the other person’s mouth.
- Now, breathe slowly to the person’s mouth and try to inflate his chest.
- See if the patient starts breathing. If he resists, try doing it again until he recovers his breath again.
Directions in giving CPR:
- Place your palm on the center of the patient’s chest and the second hand over it, interlocking the fingers.
- Keep your elbows straight and bring all your body weight on your hands, pressing firmly to give compression.
- After each compression, release the pressure on the chest without losing contact between the hands and the breastbone.
- Continue giving two artificial respirations and about 15 compressions until rescuers arrive. This technique helps in the artificial pumping of the heart to restore the lost pulse.
5 Treatment of heart attack
The two main treatments are clot-busting medicines and PCI (Percutaneous coronary intervention)
- Blood clot medicines: Thrombolytic medicines, also called as clot busters are used to dissolve blood clots that block the arteries. This medicine should be given within a few hours following a thrombotic event, or as soon as it deems clinically necessary.
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI): It is a non-surgical process wherein a small, flexible tube (catheter) is placed inside a narrowed artery, and then inflated to create a balloon which dilates the artery, thus restoring blood flow.
Other treatments include:
- ACE inhibitors lower strain on the heart and lowers blood pressure.
- Beta-blockers decrease the heart’s workload. This medicine reduces chest pain and discomfort. It also prevents repeated heart attacks from happening and treats irregular heartbeats.
- Anticoagulants or blood thinners help in preventing blood clot formation.